Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bahn Mi So 1: I've Got Banh Mi Fever!

With the economy, everyone has been talking about cheaper, yet still delicous, foods. There's been especially a lot of talk about Banh Mi sandwiches. These are Vietnamese sandwiches with pork, pate, pickled vegetables, and cilantro. I've had them in the past but it's probably been about 9 years since I last had one. But reading about it in various blogs, especially Danny of Food in Mouth, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to get a taste of it again. But I work in midtown. Real and cheap bahn mi sandwiches are hard to come by. So I decided on a warm Friday afternoon to head down to Chinatown for one. Another reason to maximize my use of the unlimited Metrocard before the price goes up. Through suggestion, I went to Saigon Vietnamese Sandwich/Bahn Mi So 1.
Look at the size of this thing! It's almost the full length of my keyboard!
There was a bit of a wait because everyone had the same idea as I did that Friday. But the bahn mi was made to order. I had it unspicy. That later proved to be a mistake. It cost $4, but the sandwich was huge. And very flavorful. The meat was good. The pork roll was fatty. And the pickled vegetables were a good compliment to the greasiness of the meat. And of course, you need cilantro to balance everything out. Now, while eating this, it tasted very good. Delicious in fact. But there was a slight room for improvement. First, I should have ordered it spicy. It lacked that slight kick that would have made the sandwich awesome. And it also lacked pate. Now I ordered the #1 which is the house special. I guess that didn't include pate. I'll have to read the menu more carefully next time. But I'll definitely go again, especially since the weather is warming up.
Lots of meat packed into it. And veggies on top.
Saigon Vietnamese Sandwich/Bahn Mi So 1
369 Broome Street
New York, NY 10013
(212) 219-8341

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.