Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lunch Week 1: Pasta with Turkey in Marinara

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Pasta with Turkey in Marinara More specifically, it's whole wheat pasta with ground turkey in a vegetable marinara sauce. It's chocked full of goodness and it's healthy too. I'm a huge advocate of making your own marinara sauce. It tastes so much better than the jar kind. I don't have a recipe for this because I imagined it in my head and thought it would taste good. And it does! But here are a couple of things about the dish:
  • I only use canned San Marzano tomatoes. They seem to make a better sauce.
  • You can hardly see them but I finely chopped carrots, onions, garlic, fennel, and celery into the dish.
  • The peas are for eyes mostly. And texture.
  • I used whole wheat pasta because you can't really taste the difference in this dish.
  • I only like to spice it up add salt, pepper, and thyme to my marinara.
  • And I always add enough broth to fill the pot. Then just simmer away.
As for taste, the sauce is slightly sweet but rich. I do believe there's too much turkey. Although many people would disagree with me saying that there's no such thing as too much meat. And it's a little dry. This is what happens when you use a very lean ground meat. Good thing there's plently of sauce to go around. Otherwise, I think the flavors are well balanced. Plus, there are so many hidden vegetables, I don't have to worry about its health factor. It's a great way to trick your mind. In fact, it's a great way to trick other people into eating their vegetables. Hello, Mr. Meat and Potatoes! Also, I think the whole look of the dish is very inviting. Marketing people always use red in food or packaging to draw people's attention. Hey, it works! Oh and it doesn't hurt that it smells divine coming out of the microwave. Officemates = jealous! Next time, I'll think to change the format of my weekly lunch post as to show you the rough step-by-step instructions for making the dish.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I do this too! I make shepards pie (w/ turkey meat), sometimes I bake a chicken and make chicken salad with the leftovers, meatballs are a fav, etc! It is a clever way to save money and I love to cook on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.