Monday, March 23, 2009

Lunch Week 2: Curry Lamb Chops

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Curry Lamb Chops with Sauteed Spinach and Hummus with Pita Chips I was really craving hummus this week. So I decided to make it for the first time. It seemed simple enough. Though trying to find tahini paste was a little more difficult where I lived. So instead of the sesame paste, I used pine nuts which has a light nutty flavor that wouldn't overpower the chickpeas. It worked pretty well.
Hummus Recipe
Ingredients: Chickpeas, garlis, lemon juice, olive oil, and pine nuts (my personal twist instead of tahini), salt, and pepper
Step 1: Blend together in food processor. I find it easier to blend the nuts and garlic together first. Then lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper. Last are the chickpeas. Make sure to taste for the amount of garlic or lemon juice you prefer.
Finished product!
And now the lamb chops which were nicely browned on the outside and still pink on the inside. I like to undercook my meat a little bit. So when I microwave it the next day, it isn't overcooked. Also, I always like to add some vegetable in my diet so I thought spinach would be a compliment to the lamb. Spinach is a strong leafy vegetable. The curry wouldn't mask the flavors.
Curried Lamb Chops with Sauteed Spinach Recipe Ingredients: Lamb chops, frozen spinach, curry powder, ground cumin, ground thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper
Step 1: Create rub with dry ingredients and spread all over chops.
Step 2: Pan fry in hot pan with olive oil until done to your liking. I like my chops to be medium.
Step 3: Saute Spinach until cooked.
Finished Product!
So how did they come out? Great! The hummus was really garlicky. Yum! If you can't handle lots of raw garlic, I would only put in 2 cloves. I put in 5 per serving. I added extra lemon juice to counter it too. The hummus tasted much better today after sitting in the fridge overnight. Everything came together in a nice balance. However, the lamb chops were overcooked. I was aiming for medium but got medium-well instead. But they were still tender. Next time, I will try to cook them medium rare and hopefully in the microwave the next day, they become medium. The spices were well balanced. The curry helped smack the game-y taste. But it didn't overpower the actual taste of the lamb. And the smell wasn't too pungent for the office. No one has complained yet! And I am very glad that I added some spinach in the mix. I need something different and green! It helped cut the fattiness of the lamb. I also need to buy a leaner cut next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.