Sunday, March 15, 2009

Roni-Sue Chocolates

I was walking around this weekend and decided to head to a much talked about chocolate chop, Roni-Sue's. It's located in the Essex Street Market. It's small but there's plenty in there. The people were really helpful with my questions. And the best thing is that they have plenty of samples. If you want to try something, they just might cut off a piece for you. I went there specifically for one thing: Pig Candy. It's chocolate covered bacon. I left with two strips: one milk, one dark. And I also couldn't resist a bag of Buttercrunch ($6.50). I'm a sucker when they're done right. And according to the sample I tried, it was plenty worth it. Here are some pictures:
The Buttercrunch is a saliva producing chocolate candy nugget of delicious-ness. It's so good that I'm hiding it from the rest of my family. It's sweet, salty, crunchy, and nutty. Just fantastic! The Pig Candy was interesting. I have to admit that they're not very pleasing to the eye. But knowing that there's bacon hidden in there, I dove in. The bacon inside of them is really crispy. I, for one, like my bacon a little soft. But I don't know if that works with chocolate. Anyhow, milk versus dark. I like the dark for two reasons: one, the slight bittersweetness goes well with the salty; and two, the bacon was better in that one. I don't know if I would get the Pig Candy again since it's weighed by the pound. But I don't regret the first try. I would tell everyone to try it. However, the Buttercrunch is definitely worth the stop into Essex Street Market. You might just want to grab some chocolate covered bacon while you're there. In fact, I would try everything there!

Roni Sue #11/12 Essex Street Market
120 Essex St @ Delancey
New York, NY 10002
(212) 260-0421

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.