Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cooking: Udon Noodles with Meat Balls

My go to dish to make when I'm hungry and don't want takeout is Udon Noodles with Meat Balls. Udon is a thick Japanese noodle made from wheat. I like the texture and taste over regular egg noodles. Plus, the thickness gives it some heft. I add fish balls and beef tendon balls to the mix. These meat balls can be found in the frozen section of any Chinese grocery store. Many people seem to think that the fish balls are rubbery and too fishy. But that's why I like them. I grew up on them so they're quite nostalgic for me. I crave them once in awhile and you can't find that kind of taste or texture in anything else. Thanks to Danny, I've been reminded of FuZhou balls (fish balls with meat filling). However, I haven't been able to bring them back into my diet. It will take a trip into Chinatown. Once I can find them frozen, I can stock up. Speaking of stocking up, usually there are dumplings, but my house ran out. It might be time to make a batch of my own wontons. Oh and the beef tendon balls are rubbery too. They're not regular beef balls. They also have tendons in it. It has this weird cartilage-like bite to them. They're excellent! Well, if you're into that whole cartilage eating thing like me.
Ingredients: Udon Noodles, fish balls, beef tendon balls.
Step 1: Bring pot of water to boil. Add meat balls. Bring back to boil and add noodles. Cook 10 minutes.
Step 2: When finished cooking, add some flavor to the dish. My favorites are soy sauce and oyster sauce. Sometimes I add chili garlic sauce.
Finished Product! Yum!
Remember, chopsticks in your right hand, spoon in your left. This promises for non-stop slurping and eating. Well, except to wipe your mouth. I like to twirl some noodles onto the spoon, then dip it into the broth. Each spoonful becomes one bite of deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.