Monday, April 13, 2009

Lunch Week 5: Turkey Breast with Wild Rice

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Turkey Breast with Wild Rice, Asparagus, and Corn. This lunch reminds me of spring. The colors are bright and it's a fairly light meal. But the best is that it's easy to make. First, the rice is made in a rice cooker. Just add enough water/stock as the package recommends. Set it and forget it! The turkey is just seasoned with salt and pepper. Then pan seared in a pan until golden brown. Try not to overcook the turkey because it can dry out. The asparagus is sauteed in the browned leftover pieces from the turkey. It adds lots of flavor. The asparagus can get very chewy if it's overdone. Next, the corn is sauteed which is even faster. Only one pot is used so only one needed to be cleaned. By the time everything is cooked, the rice is done.
The ingredients
Everything cooked separately
I kept this dish very lightly seasoned because I wanted to bring out the natural flavors of each ingredient. I didn't want to mask anything with too bold flavors. It's spring so there are lots of seasonal fruits and vegetables to be savored. Anyhow, the turkey is juicy. The asparagus is slightly chewy. I think I didn't trim enough from the ends. The corn is very sweet. The rice is a little soft but still has a nice bite to it. Wild rice holds up better than white rice when there's too much liquid. Yum, a nice balanced meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment