Thursday, April 9, 2009

What is Bhakra?

One of the great things about latching onto another family of a different culture is being able to eat their delicious food. For me, that family is Parsi Indian. The food is completely different from what I'm used to. Their curries are nut based. And there are a lot of creamy foods. I love it! But one thing is for sure: they love their spice! So bhakra is best described as an Indian donut. It's deep fried but sweet, but not overly sweet like a donut. It's very subtle. And they're much heavier and filling. The texture is like a corn muffin. It goes great with tea. I can easily eat 5-6 in a sitting. There's a rumor that the chef of my Parsi family makes the best bhakra. It may be her ingredients, or the way she mixes the dough, or even how she fries them. But every time she goes and visits someone, they ask for it. I don't care what it is. I just want to eat them. They're fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment