Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lunch Week 11: Pasta with Sausage and Peppers

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Pasta with Sausage and Peppers I needed something quick and easy this week. Pasta is always easy. Sausage and peppers are fairly quick and easy too. Combine the two and you have a complete lunch. For this meal, I used turkey sausage because of its low-in-fat quality. For the vegetable department, I used green bell peppers, onions, fennel, and garlic. Also, I used a little bit of tomato paste for flavor. The pasta is whole wheat. First, the vegetables. Slice everything until they are slightly bigger than bite size. Remember that they shrink when cooked. Next, bring a pot of water to boil to the pasta. Add salt and oil. Then add pasta. And cook according to the directions on the box. When fully cooked, drain thoroughly. Add the vegetables to a hot pan with oil starting with the fennel and onions. After a few minutes add the peppers and garlic. Cook slowly until slightly softened. Then add the tomato paste. Mix thoroughly. Add the sausages whole until cooked through. When the sausages are cooked, remove from pan. Wait a few minutes then slice into pieces. Add the sausage pieces back into the pan along with any juices that escaped. Mix and cook for a couple more minutes. Lastly, add drained pasta to sausage and vegetable mixture. Mix well. And everything is done. The vegetables absorbed the sausage juices. And the tomato paste adds a nice tang. The sausages are a little on the lean side but that was to be expected. As I said, a nice and easy complete meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.