Monday, May 4, 2009

Lunch Week 8: Baked Tilapia with Mango Salsa

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Baked Tilapia with Mango Salsa I wanted to go a little lighter with lunch this week. So fish was perfect. Also, it's Cinco de Mayo this week. Salsa would be great to celebrate. Fish and salsa go so well together. The light fish is complemented with the flavorful and slightly spicy salsa. I start by chopping up all my salsa ingredients. This time I'm using mangoes too. It's a fairly simple recipe. And it tastes so much better than those jarred dips you find in the supermarket. Once everything is diced and minced, I add salt, pepper, oil, and lime juice. Then you cover and let sit together in the refrigerator for at least an hour. I personally like to leave it overnight. It's the type of food that gets better with time. Next the fish. I got a large pack of frozen tilapia fillets individually vacuum packed. They're very convenient. I defrost then season with salt, pepper, tabasco, and oil. Next, I bread them lightly on both sides. Then bake them in the over at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. They come out juicy and slightly spicy. The tilapia with the mango salsa together is so good. The fish just flakes right off. The meat absorbs some of the salsa flavors. Everything is fresh and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.