Friday, May 15, 2009

Rice Noodle Skins

Sometimes I'm just craving something Asian. On this day, particularly Chinese. I didn't want soupy noodles nor stir fried noodles. I didn't want anything that I've had recently. So off to the market I went. And what did I see? Flat Rice Skin noodles! I haven't had these in such a long time. They had plain and dried shrimp with scallions. I'm a fan of the latter. And it's one of the cheapest meals you can have. They come precooked in a bag for just a couple of dollars. I like to steam my rice skin noodles. Some people stir fry them. But that takes more effort and lots more oil. To steam, you take them out and place it in a plate. Make sure to spread them out evenly. Put a couple of drops of oil to prevent sticking. It's a good idea to use corn, vegetable, or canola oil here. The noodles are quite delicate in flavor. So olive oil would really overpower it. Place in a pot of rapidly boiling water fitted with a steam rack. Cover and steam for about 10 minutes until warmed through. Lastly, add your flavors. I like to use soy sauce and sesame oil. Some people add peanut sauce, oysters sauce, or plum sauce. It's really whatever you fancy. Keep in mind to mix the sauce all around because these noodles tend to absorb whatever is put on them. So if you only sauce one spot, only that spot will have flavor. Voila! Instant Chinese meal in 10 minutes of cook time. And 2 bucks out of the wallet. Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.