Thursday, June 25, 2009

Giorgios of Gramercy

A quiet Monday night brought me to the Flatiron area. With some time before a conference call, I headed for a quick dinner with Mr. Meat & Potatoes. Our first choice was closed, but luckily, I had thought of Giorgio's of Gramercy as a backup. I have been here before and liked it. You won't have a culinary epiphany here but I've found it to be a good go-to place. The food and service has always been solid. And the prices are right. This recent trip to Giorgio's left me as satisfied as ever. The restaurant was quiet on a Monday night. It's to be expected for most places. It's one of the slowest dining out days of the week. And in a recession, it's even worse. However, as a benefit to us, we were seated very quickly. They offer a nightly prix fixe ($35) but neither of us was hungry enough for 3 courses each. So we opted out and just ordered entrees. They gave us an amuse bouche. It was shrimp and peppers on a crostini. It was tasty but not memorable. I ordered the seared tuna steak over somen noodles and vegetables ($22). It was listed as an entree on the prix fixe menu. The tuna was a very generous size. It would be what I'd expect if I had ordered just a tuna steak. But it also came with a bed of noodles and vegetables. The tuna was seared perfectly. Slightly charred on the outside but nice and rare on the inside. The noodles and vegetables, on the other hand, were forgettable. It was a little heavy on the vinegar so it left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. No matter, we all knew that the fish was the star of the dish. Mr. Meat & Potatoes ordered 2 half portions of pasta. He couldn't decide on just one. He picked a risotto ($8) and baked macaroni and cheese ($7). The risotto came with lamb sausage and tomatoes. It tasted pretty good. It was creamy and buttery. The baked macaroni and cheese was just okay. I didn't think it was cheesy enough. But that could be just personal preference. I love cheese. And I like my macaroni and cheese to be very cheesy. One thing for sure is that the half servings of pasta were huge. I would consider them full servings. Needless to say that he only finished half of each dish and was more than full. They turn out to be good leftovers for the next day. Like I said previously, Giorgio's of Gramercy has hits and misses. But the overall experience is a plus. The food satisfied me. The price is just right. The service was attentive and friendly. I had a good time here.


Giorgio's of Gramercy
27 East 21st St
New York, NY 10011
(212) 477-0007
giorgiosofgramercy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.