Monday, June 8, 2009

Take Out: Hoagie Haven

Some places are institutions. People will swear by it for as long as they will live. And new people will hop on the band wagon with their first visit. For me, that place is Hoagie Haven. Now I haven't been to this place for a long time. I'm considered new, in fact. But I'm happy to have joined the ranks. This simple hoagie/sandwich joint is in the heart of Princeton, NJ. Students, families, and visitors all flock here. You'll find long lines. But be assured that it moves quickly. It's worth the wait. But call in for a large order. This assuming hole-in-the-wall place dishes out gut bomb hoagies half or whole. Half is about 8 inches, easily. I can only eat a half. It's that filling. Big eaters will be happy with the whole. Both satisfyingly good portions.
How big is your keyboard?
It's a mix and match game here. Get what you fancy. For newcomers, this can be daunting. But after a couple of tries and recommendations, I got my sandwich down. And it has remained the same for awhile now. I get a half cheesesteak, double meat, fried egg, fried/grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, salt, pepper, and spices.
The innards
Some other recommended hoagies are the chicken parm, eggplant parm, bacon cheesteak, and the pizza cheesesteak. But again, get what you want. Some people always mix it up every time. Others, like me, stick with what I know. They offer almost everything. Hot and cold sandwiches. Food truck type sandwiches (like the ones found at Rutgers). Sides. Salads. If you're ever in Princeton, make it point to stop here. If not for breakfast/lunch/dinner, then maybe for a takeaway sub. I'm telling you, it'll be worth it. Hoagie Haven 242 Nassau Street Princeton, NJ 0842 (609) 921-7723 hoagiehaven.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.