Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lunch Week 13:Roast Beef and Mozzarella Sandwiches

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Roast Beef and Mozzarella Sandwiches I didn't have any time on Sunday to cook anything. I was just coming back from a long weekend. When I don't have time to cook, I still try to make something simple for the week. Like I've said before, I don't like to go out and buy my lunch every work day. The options are so overwhelming. The easiest thing I could think of were sandwiches. Usually, I get ham or turkey. But I wanted to mix it up a little bit. I opted for roast beef instead. The supermarket had their store made eye round. And it looked good. Not too well done and not too rare either. Just medium. Perfect for me. To complement, I also bought some mozzarella cheese (the deli kind). I wanted a creamy cheese and this was the best I saw. Normally, people get American cheese. But that's usually my least favorite cheese. So I would always pick it last. With some nice dark German whole wheat bread, I was ready to make my sandwich. First the bread, 2 slices. Then some dijon mustard (I like Maille) on both sides. Add roast beef on one side, and cheese on the other. Some boston lettuce and a couple of slices of tomatoes. And it's done. Simple but good. The roast beef is a little fatty but it helps with its natural leanness (compared to other deli meats). The creamy mozzarella just melts in my mouth. The lettuce and tomatoes add that needed crunchy texture. And the mustard gives everything a little tang. And lastly, the bread is hearty and holds everything together. I had a feeling that this wasn't enough food for me during lunch. So, I cut up a ripe honeydew. So sweet. And added some plain greek yogurt to it. Ah, refreshingly satisfying. Perfect for warmer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.