Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lunch Week 14: Salad with Hummus and Pretzels

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Salad and Hummus with Pretzels I was feeling quite lazy this week. And I wanted to eat rather healthy. A simple salad for greens. And hummus for protein with pretzels for carbs. For my salad, I bought some mixed dark greens, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, and scallions. A quick chop and they're ready to be assembled. As a last minute decision, I boiled some eggs to top everything off. I needed something hearty and delicious to go with the greens. Salad dressing was a honey mustard balsamic vinaigrette. Mix everything together and emulsify with extra virgin olive oil. A little dressing goes a long way here. I'm the type of person that doesn't drown my greens. I like to actually still be able to taste the natural flavors of the raw vegetables. A nice compliment to the salad is some homemade hummus. I've made this before but a quick recap. I use pine nuts instead of tahini sauce. It gives it a similar nuttiness but ultimately doesn't taste exactly the same. But it suffices and I'm okay with that. A nice blender and some extra virgin olive oil makes this smooth and creamy. I like garlic in my hummus. But from my last batch, I've discovered that the raw garlic becomes stronger as the days go by. So be careful about that garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.