Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hand Pull Noodle and Dumpling House

My mom told me that my usual noodle house had closed. Oh no! What to do! She already had a solution, a hand pulled noodle shop that recently opened nearby. And they deliver. Now I've never had hand pulled noodles before but I hear that they're really good. They pull the noodles when you order so it should always be fresh and tasty. This place was called Hand Pull Noodle and Dumpling House. I ordered hand pulled noodles with pork chops. I also included fishballs because my mom said they were decent. I went to pick up the food because I wanted to see what the place looked like. It seemed decent enough. But it was empty on a Friday afternoon. Not a good sign. But I was willing to try anyway. When I got home, I opened up the package. One container held the broth. You can clearly see the fishballs and vegetables (bok choy) on top. If you dig a little deeper you'll find the pork chop. Too bad this chop was submerged in the broth. It looked like it could be crispy. I fished all the food out and this is what I found: bok choy, 5 fishballs, and 3 pork chops. Wow! That's a lot of food in there. And I haven't even considered the noodles yet. The noodles, thankfully, came in a separate container. This is a must because fresh noodles in soup can become incredibly soggy when not eaten right away. I gladly dunked them into my broth. The food wasn't bad at all. In fact, I enjoyed the dish. The noodles were good. They held a slight chewiness but were just soft enough. You can tell that they were fresh. The broth was typical. Not too special. Yet, I wasn't expecting much either. The pork chops unfortunately were very dry. It was surprising considering that they were submerged in the broth. I ate all three anyway. The vegetables added a good contrast to all the protein and carbs. Lastly, the fish balls: they were the Fu Zhou fishballs that I've been looking for. Well, I wasn't really looking actively but I wished upon an easy way to get them. And I found them thanks to my mom! They aren't just fish. They have delicious marinated pork inside. They're so good. Even though the chops were lousy, I'll definitely go back just for the fishballs and noodles. Hand Pull Noodle and Dumpling House 7201 18th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11204 (718) 232-6191

No comments:

Post a Comment