Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lunch Week 18: Mixed Rice with Spinach and Sausage

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Mixed rice with spinach and sausage I was craving something heartier this week. I opted for brown rice for the whole grain effect, kielbasa for its heartiness, and spinach for its strong flavor. First, the rice. I used a rice cooker because it is so easy and convenient. The box called for 1 cup of rice and 2.5 cups of water. I used low sodium chicken stock for extra flavor. Always choose low sodium so that you can control the amount of salt that goes into the dish. Next, I chopped up some onion and garlic as a base for the sausage and spinach. I chopped the kielbasa into small bite sized pieces. Next, I sauteed the onions until soft. Then added the garlic and sausage. I cooked them until warmed through. Lastly, I added the frozen spinach right into the middle of the pan. I like to use frozen spinach because it's still has a fresh taste and it gives you more spinach for your money. Frozen vegetables are a good substitute for fresh when needed. I covered the spinach with the sausage mixture to defrost it even faster. Also, I covered the pan. When everything is cooked, I mixed them all together in a large bowl. I'm done! This lunch came out pretty good. The kielbasa just flavored everything but the spinach held up. You can still taste the onions and garlic. And the brown rice has a nice nuttiness to it. All together, it's a good satisfying lunch.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you brown-bagged it when I wrote the first comment. Do you eat the same thing all 5 days? If so, HOW do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elaine: Yes, I do make lunch for all 5 days. I just make sure that it tastes good. Otherwise, I suffer. I can't spend on both breakfast and lunch all the time. It'll break the bank and my waistline.

    Btw, I eat the same cereal (Kashi Crunch) every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about this post all yesterday. I really like your blog. I found it fascinating that you cook for the week on a Sunday. I have another friend who does the same. Anyway, I was inspired to make my lunch this morning, and made a really great veggie stir fry with those tofu sheets (used as a wrapper for mock duck and the like). So thanks! I think I want to experiment with keeping my weekly spend to $50 for lunch/bk/snacks. Should be interesting. Oh, I linked to you today on my blog. Please check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elaine: Thanks for the link! I'm glad I can inspire you to cook more often.

    Btw: I like the Venice shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. Venice it is. I will definitely keep reading your blog. I have spent $17.40 so far for lunch/bk/snack this week, so I am doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.