Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lunch Week 19: Beef Stir Fry

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Beef Stir Fry I was watching an episode of a Food Network Challenge where they featured food artists. One of the meals they had to make was beef stir fry and I was intrigued. I've made this before but I haven't had it in a very long time. I decided to make it for my week's lunch. I like to have a lot of vegetables in my stir fry so I sliced up some onions. And of course, lots of garlic. Some green bell peppers, a yellow bell pepper, and... Orange and red bell peppers. And some baby corn. Can't forget about the beef. I used a chuck steak and sliced it. I made the sauce ahead of time. I mixed together some soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, and oyster sauce. First, I sauteed the beef on a high temperature until half cooked. I took any liquid/juices that came out and added it to my sauce mixture. Tastes so good! Then I cooked the onions and garlic. Then added all the peppers. Cook until softened. Lastly, I added the baby corn and beef back into the pot. Mix thoroughly and add the sauce. I like my sauce slightly thick so I added some cornstarch and water mixture. Always, allow this to come to a boil because the cornstarch will reach its thickness point when boiled. And always mix cornstarch with cold water before adding to a dish to prevent lumps. This cooked up pretty quickly. A good tip from my mom: undercook your vegetables since you'll be microwaving them over the week. This helps prevent them from being mush. Thanks mom! Otherwise, this dish tastes pretty good. The different bell peppers are great. Some are a little more tart and others are just plain. The onions are great and extra garlic is heaven to me. The beef is a little overcooked and therefore slightly chewy. Not a problem for me but I'll undercook it even more so the next time around. But the flavor of the sauce is really nice. This was very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.