Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Brasserie Athenee

Another quick, easy dinner with friends in Midtown West. I was looking for something simple again. I always passed Brasserie Athenee on my walk in the mornings. It looked nice. Why not give it a try? It's a French/Mediterranean place. There are lots of seafood of the menu. The best part, it's not expensive at all. Very decently priced for what you get. On a hot and humid summer day, the last thing you want is something heavy to eat. Good thing there were lots of salads and lightly cooked seafood fare on the menu. I opted for the mussel frites ($15). My friends got the seafood salad ($15) and steak frites ($24). We also got a grilled octopus ($14) as an appetizer to share. The octopus starter was pretty big. It was enough to share between the four of us. The octopus was lightly grilled but still left a slight chewiness to it. It could have used a little more lemon. Otherwise, it was quite tasty. My mussel frites were very good. They gave me a pot of green mussels. The meat inside each shell was large and plump. The juicy ran down into the pot which gave way to perfect dipping with bread. The frites were mediocre. They were crispy enough but didn't have a nice creamy potato inside. They were just okay. My friends like their salad and there was a lot of seafood in it. It had shrimp, scallops, squid, and mussels. My other friend also liked his steak. It was cooked to order, medium-rare. It was a smaller steak but the price was right. In all, I thought the place was okay. The waiter checked up on us every so often. My water was refilled occasionally. It was a friendly place to just go and have a meal. I would come back to just sit back, watch the crowd, and enjoy some seafood. Brasserie Athenee 300 W 46th St New York, NY 10036-3801 (212) 399-1100 brasserieathenee.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.