Thursday, August 27, 2009

Daisy May's BBQ

Now that I'm within close proximity to Daisy May's, my ribs cravings will be satisfied much more quickly. The other night, he went to pick up some goodies for me. He came back with so much more. He bought some Kansas City Sweet and Sticky Pork Ribs that came with mac and cheese and creamed corn ($17.50). He also bought a pulled pork sandwich that came with some cole slaw ($10.50). Now, I've been to this barbecue joint many times over. And I still think they provide the best ribs in the city. Best barbecue overall? That's questionable. It really depends on what you like to eat. I've noticed that the different pro and cons of each place is dependent on what people always order at a barbecue joint. I, for one, always order ribs. And that night was no different. He wanted to try something new. So he got the pulled pork sandwich. I have to say, the ribs were lacking that night. Sure it was sweet and sticky. The meat was tender with a good smoke ring. But it wasn't what I remembered. It wasn't a ooooooh type of meal. It was just okay. I was disappointed really. The sauce actually kind of congealed slightly. I don't know if that's a sign that it was sitting around for awhile. I felt unsatisfied. However, the sides were solid. The mac and cheese and creamy and thick. So satisfying. The creamed corn was good too with the slight heat balanced with the cheese. The pulled pork sandwich was surprisingly very good though. I've recently come back from a trip to North Carolina, so great pulled pork was still fresh on my mind. Daisy May's wasn't as good as down south but it came close. It needed more vinegar but the flavor, tenderness, and juiciness was there. It was just missing something. I couldn't pinpoint it. Oh, and I did eat it the correct way with cole slaw on top. They did it right at Daisy May's. Not much mayo but vinegar based. That's so much better. Even on an off night, Daisy May's is still solidly good. I will continue to be a patron. I just love barbecue that much.


Daisy Mays BBQ USA 623 11th Ave New York, NY 10036 (212) 977-1500 daisymaysbbq.com

No comments:

Post a Comment