Wednesday, September 2, 2009

CSA #1: Kale and onions

So with some great help and inspiration from Yvo, the Feisty Foodie, I found my first farm that offered CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture). Like her, I wanted some fresh vegetables. And I wanted to be challenged in the kitchen with different vegetables. It's the only way that I would venture out of my comfort zone of onions, potatoes, and green peppers. My closest and most convenient farm that ventured into the city is Upper Meadows Farm. They provide a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. And they provide flowers. Nice. The first week, I received some kale, red onions, herbs, collard greens, peaches, plums, cucumbers, and flowers. I only had time to cook the kale and onions though. But it was a fine meal. Red onions and kale Finely chopped everything, including some bacon. Eggs are for later. First, I sauteed the bacon until all the fat was rendered. Then, I scooped out the bacon and drained the fat. Any brown bits and leftover grease was used to cook the onions until soft. Next, add the kale until wilted and softened. Add chopped green parts soon after. Turn off heat. Toast an english muffin in the meantime. Add kale and onion mixture on top of english muffins. Next, fry eggs in remaining grease. I like yokes to retain their runniness, When the eggs are done, place on top of vegetable mixture. But be careful not to break the yokes. Add the bacon back on top. Lastly, grate some cheese over it. I like to user a sharper parmagianno regiano. This dish was so extremely satisfying. The bacon was crispy and fatty. The cheese gave everything a sharp creaminess. The onion were sweet and soft. The kale was delicious. The green parts of the onion was still a little undercooked which added a slight bite to everything. And the runny egg yolks pulled everything together. The english muffins were there for support and heartiness. I definitely enjoyed this dish and would absolutely make it again. Upper Meadows Farm 12 Pollara Lane Montague, NJ 07827 (973) 293-8171 uppermeadowsfarm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.