Thursday, September 3, 2009

CSA #2: Cucumbers and Parsley

I'm behind on cooking the vegetables from the farmer's market. So I spent the weekend making more vegetable heavy foods. First, I needed to use up some of those cucumbers. I decided on a refreshing cucumber salad with avocado and parsley to start. And some pasta to finish. I slice the cucumbers thinly but do not peel nor seed them. I believe that lots of nutrients are in the peels of a lot of fruits and vegetables. I like to leave them on when I can. Next, I salt them and leave them to seep water. As the cucumbers sweat, I boil some water for the pasta. This time, I'm using sausage stuffed purse bags. They're okay. Nothing like homemade but in a pinch, they're great. When the water boils, I salt it and add some oil. Next the pasta goes in. Boil until cooked through. As that works, I bring another pan onto the stove for the cheese sauce. I was thinking a smoked gouda sauce on top. But I forgot the milk! Gouda doesn't melt into a thin sauce by itself. In fact, it's thick. It would be ideal for a burger. So my sauce turned out to be a glob instead of rich and creamy. Oops! When the pasta is done, drain, then add cheese. Now time to prepare the salad. Take the cucumbers and rinse them off. Add chopped avocado and parsley. Mix with just a touch of red wine vinegar and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. The salad was just what we needed. Light and fresh on a hot and humid summer night. The pasta could have been better due to the globs of cheese. Next time, I'll remember the milk. Upper Meadows Farm 12 Pollara Lane Montague, NJ 07827 (973) 293-8171 uppermeadowsfarm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.