Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lunch Week 22: Roasted Leg of Lamb

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: roasted leg of lamb with yogurt sauce and sauteed kale I like to buy the lamb from Costco. It's vacuum packed and always fresh. It does need a deal of trimming though. Remove all the fat and tough pieces off. Then I season liberally with salt, pepper, oil, paprika, cumin, curry powder, garlic powder, rosemary, and chili powder. Rub all around until well marinated. Roll up into a log and tie with string. The good thing about the lamb from Costco is that it comes with this netting that can be reused after seasoning. And it's safe for the oven. In it went at 375 for about an hour and half. Next, the yogurt sauce. I needed cucumbers, garlic, vinegar, and oil. Chop everything finely and mix well. Always add salt and pepper. This sauce gets better with time. Now the vegetables. I always need something green with my food. This week, it's kale. For some reason, the farm provides so much kale. I can't wait until the season is over so that I can try some new stuff. I chopped these into pieces and sauteed with garlic and oil. Just something simple. The lamb is done when an instant thermometer reads 160 degrees. Unfortunately, it read 170. Yikes! Well done lamb. Damn, I forgot the oven was set to convection. Ugh! Note to self: convection oven means shorter cooking time. Some slices after resting proves that it's over roasted. See the lack of pink in the middle? The spices are good and hot. The yogurt sauce cools it down nicely. And the vegetables are a good complement. Unfortunately, since the lamb was overcooked, the microwave made it slightly mealy when reheated. Thank god for the yogurt. It adds much needed creaminess and moisture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.