Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lunch Week 24: Roast Pork Tenderloin

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Roast Pork Tenderloin with Potato Risotto and Carrots. So I took some pork tenderloin and trimmed off the excess fat. Then I made a marinade from balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, oil, and horseradish. I rub the marinade liberally over the meat and let it work it's thing overnight. Once fully marinated, I place the pork in the oven at 375 degrees until the internal temp is around 170 degrees. Since I used the convection option again, I took the pork out at 165 degrees and let it internally finish cooking. This method allowed the meat not to overcook but I still thought that it was a little dry. However, it was still much better than the lamb. I also sauteed some carrots as a side. Simply cooked with salt, pepper, and oil. Unfortunately, I deleted the picture for the potato risotto but it's very easy to explain. First buy very starchy potatoes. I like to use yukon gold. Red potatoes would not work very well here. Peel and dice all of the potato. Keep the pieces in cold water to prevent the potato from turning brown. Next, dice up a piece of onion and heat up some chicken stock. In a hot pan, add the onion and cook until translucent. Next add the potatoes and cook for a couple of minutes. Now, add enough hot stock to just cover the top of the potatoes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Continue to do this until the potatoes are cooked through and very creamy. Lastly, I like to add a box of frozen peas and some butter. Turn off the heat now. The residual heat will cook through the peas and melt the butter. The pork is a little dry but I used the dripping from the pan to keep it moist. The potatoes are rich and creamy. Next time, to add some more decadence, I would add some heavy cream as well. The peas are a nice little addition at the end. The carrots are just okay and serve their purpose of adding some more texture and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.