Friday, September 25, 2009

Peach Cobbler

I bought a large amount of peaches from the supermarket the other day. But they weren't very good. In fact, one was downright terrible. In protest, I left them in the fridge for a really long time. So long, in fact that I thought they have already spoiled. But a quick check and they were still good for just a very short amount of time. So I did the next best thing, I made a peach cobbler. Cobblers, in my mind, are really easy desserts. You basically slice up some fruit, add some spices, then dump them into a dish with a topping. Bake and done. They're certainly not as meticulous as pies, cakes, or cookies. In fact, I don't really consider it baking because I don't measure the ingredients. I do everything by eye and things always turn out fine. So I start out with some ripe peaches. As always, use the best you can find. But this time, I'm just using up leftover food from the fridge. I peel the peaches, removed the pit, then slice them up thinly. Next, I add sugar, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, and as a twist, cardamon. I dot the fruit with butter for richness. This also helps create lots of bubbly juices. Then the topping includes oatmeal, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and cold butter. Dot that with butter too for nice browning. I baked it at 375 until the filling is hot and bubbling. Also, make sure the topping is nicely browned. This takes about 30 minutes. I wanted some ice cream with my cobbler but didn't have any at home. So instead, I improvised with an ice cream sandwich which turned out just fine. The cobbler is really good. The peaches taste much better this way. And my little twist of cardamon adds really nice flavor. The oatmeal topping adds nice crunch and texture. Peaches saved!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe and wonderful photos! The recipe turned out great.

    I've bookmarked your blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.