Friday, October 30, 2009

Banana Muffins

What do you do when you have an overly ripe and gross looking banana? Well, I certainly won't eat it. I like my bananas that just ripened to a bright yellow. Anyway, the answer is banana bread. But in my case of just 1 banana, I made banana muffins. Since I only had 1 banana, I halved the recipe. So I creamed 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) of softened butter. Add one large egg. It should look something like this now once everything is incorporated. Make sure to scrape the bottom and sides. Mash up your banana with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 Tbsp of milk. Add a splash of vanilla extract if you like. I like the additional flavor. Add to your sugar and butter mixture until well incorporated. Measure out 1 cup of flour with 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Don't forget you 1/2 tsp of salt. Mix until incorporated with the banana mixture. Now you should have a nice and thick batter. This is enough for 6 muffins. I lined my tray with paper. You could grease them up if you like. Then into the oven at 325 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. I kept my muffins in too long. You could tell that the tops are too brown. They turned out slightly dry. But good thing that I'm not showing these off to any one. They're just for me! A nice little home baked treat! I forgot where I got this recipe from. I've had it for years. I would say maybe a decade. It's reliable when I don't leave them in for that long. Ack, it's good to pay attention to your oven.

4 comments:

  1. I only started baking with bananas this year. Back then my mum would always throw them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ms. K: A good way to use any kind of fruit before it goes rotten is throw it in pancake mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds ridiculously easy. Thanks for sharing! Also, your muffin tin is so clean. Mine is all splotted with stuff and some of it won't come off cuz it's all burnt on... :x I'm messy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @FF: White vinegar and baking soda gets many of my stuck on grease and burned food off very well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.