Friday, October 16, 2009

CSA 9: Potatoes & Scallions

Mr. Meat & Potatoes' parents were coming up for the first time since the move-in. They haven't seen the place since we've settled in and decorated. So they were coming over for breakfast and I wanted to impress them with my cooking skills. An excess of eggs and fresh ingredients from my CSA share was just what I needed for the potato and scallion frittata I had in mind. It's kind of like an open faced omlette. I first peeled the sliced the potatoes thinly. I used small red potatoes here. I sauteed these until cooked through. No one likes a raw potato. While that was cooking, I sliced up half of a large Spanish onion. I added this to the pan. Some salt and pepper for seasoning. On the side, I cooked up some breakfast sausages. I made them my way: sear, then boil with water, then sear again. While everything was cooking down, I whipped up some eggs. I added some grated pecorino cheese for decadence and sharpness. A good touch. Once the vegetables are cooked, I added the eggs on top covering everything. Then I added some chopped scallions over that. And lastly, more cheese! I cooked these for a little while longer and then into the over at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes until the eggs were set. The sausages are ready. Cooked completely through with a nice crispy skin. The eggs are done. It tastes really good all stuffed with vegetables. But it's still hearty from the potatoes. Easy to make, good to eat. I hope I impressed them! Upper Meadows Farm 12 Pollara Lane Montague, NJ 07827 (973) 293-8171 uppermeadowsfarm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.