Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lioni's

Growing up in a predominantly Italian neighborhood (Bensonhurst) has led to great food findings and experiences in my life. I'm superbly grateful for that. It's led me to have an open mind about different cuisines and cultures. On a recent trip back home, Mr. Meat & Potatoes and I went looking for lunch. I surprised him with Lioni's. It's one of the main staples in the community. You'll always see old Italian dudes sitting outside speaking in Italian. And on other random days, you'll see fire trucks parked outside in search of their amazing sandwiches. Although, I've never purchased anything from there, I knew of it. And I drooled jealously over the people that were in there. I finally thought it was time. And I was so glad I did. We went into the sandwich storefront of Lioni's. They have two: one is a butcher, the other is prepared to order sandwiches. Once inside, you'll see hundreds of sandwiches on the menu covering the place. It's hard to pick one but go with your gut. If it's too much for you, just make a custom one. I picked the Jerry Vale (#21) which included proscuitto, fresh mozzarella, and pesto. It's huge! A full foot. No wonder it cost $12. A side picture of my amazing sandwich. It tasted great and just what I wanted that afternoon. The meat was salty and great. The cheese was so soft and creamy. And the pesto added a nice freshness. The bread was crackly on the outside and soft on the inside. He picked the Eddie Arcaro (#119). It came with a chicken cutlet, salami, ham, basil mix, fresh mozzarella, and romano cheese ($14). This was so good. I think I liked it better that my own. You'll also find many breads, cheeses, cured meats, and pastas for sale. We picked up a proscuitto bread ($5.50) and a ball of fresh mozzarella ($4.50). The bread wasn't very good. It seemed stale and not much proscuitto flavor in it. The cheese, on the other hand, was the best mozzarella cheese I've had in my life. It was super soft and creamy. The leftovers were still incredibly soft the next day after spending the night in the fridge. I was completely blown away. Although the sandwiches seem pricey, they're fit for 2 meals easily. So I think it's not too bad. I'll definitely will be coming back to Lioni's soon. It's just so good. We also took a peek at the meat store. And they had some really fresh stuff in there too. Soon, we'll partake in there as well. Lioni's Italian Heroes 7803 15th Avenue Brooklyn, Ny 11228 (718) 232-1166 lioniheroes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.