Friday, October 2, 2009

Market Table

A recent dinner out with a friend brought us to Market Table in the West Village. I've always wanted to go here but somehow it has dodged me. But finally, a nice casual meal with one of my closest friends. And this was the perfect place. At first glance, it may seem like a romantic place with low lights and close quarters. But once inside, it's place for friends and colleagues enjoying a dinner together over simple tables and fare. *Warning: poor quality pictures to follow. Blame the candlelight and lack of flash.* I start with the fried calamari ($17). The squid was tender and delicious inside the crispy and spicy crust. They were cooled down with a layer of guacamole on the bottom. A simple dish yet flavorful. I liked it very much. The serving was more than generous. He picked the lamb gnocchi ($19)which looked fantastic. I was going to pick this but I couldn't fathom finishing it and my entree. The gnocchi was pillowy soft and the lamb was so tender. You can tell it was braised for a very long time. The sauce that came with it was so good. A nice hearty starter. For entrees, we both picked the black angus strip steak ($35 each). They came perfectly cooked to our orders (medium rare and rare). It was juicy and tender. The mushroom and soaked up lots of the juices. The goat cheese fritters were crispy on the outside and so creamy on the inside. The slight gaminess complemented the steak well. We both finished our portions and we were stuffed afterward. We didn't make it to dessert. A slight look over the menu and I wish I did. Next time, it would be wise to share an appetizer. Price wise, not too bad. And service and friendly and casual. Now if only the light was brighter for me to take proper pictures! Otherwise, I'll definitely be coming back. A note to add is that from 5-7pm, they offer their wine at $3 per glass. Normally, they start at $10. That's a great deal! Market Table 54 Carmine Street New York, NY 10014 (212)255-2100 markettablenyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.