Friday, October 23, 2009

Salsa & Guacamole

I was craving some fresh salsa and guacamole. It's fairly easy to make and it doesn't involve cooking. Besides, much football was to be watched this Sunday and it's the perfect snack to try to at least stay remotely healthy. The ingredients are simple (starting at the left going clockwise): an avocado, tomato, lime, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro and onion. Not shown are salt, pepper, and oil. The fresher and riper your ingredients, the better the outcome will taste. First the salsa. I chopped everything up except for the avocado. I added only 1/4 of a whole purple onion to this. Don't forget to de-seed the jalapenos. Mix and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Same goes for the guacamole. Instead of tomatoes, I added an avocado. The lime juice will help keep the avocado from browning. Usually I add tomatoes in here as well but a certain Mr. Meat & Potatoes hates raw tomatoes. Recipes like these are really easy and great because you can alter them to your liking. For instance, if you like it really spicy, add more jalapenos or use a spicier pepper like habaneros. I like my dips a little more garlicky so I add more garlic. And I love cilantro so I'll add more of that as well. Remember that the salt, pepper, and oil are crucial elements to these dips. They really bring the flavors together. That's why you need to let these dips marinate in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.