Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sloppy Joes a la Schnipper's

The recent post season baseball schedule has fueled lots of gut bomb recipes in my brain. Everything seemed to come together on a cold, rainy night and a friend coming over to watch the Yankees game. I decided to make something that would be reminiscent of our childhoods but kicked up a notch (as Emeril would say)! My brain couldn't forget the pictures of Schnipper's sloppy joe and mac n cheese combo. I've never been there so I don't know how their food tastes. But I do know how to make sloppy joes and mac n cheese. My brain storm led me to collect the first few ingredients: milk, tomato paste, ketchup, a can of crushed tomatoes, pasta, Worcestershire sauce, and some cheese. As for the fresh ingredients: chopped onions, garlic, green bell peppers, and habanero pepper. Sautee the onions and bell peppers in oil with salt and pepper until softened. In a separate pot, start a roux for the cheese sauce. I went and used one of my previously frozen roux balls. I melted it down with a little extra butter. When that's melted, add whole milk and bring to boil. This allows to the roux to fully thicken the sauce. When the veggies are softened, add garlic, and habanero. Sautee briefly then add ground beef. Cook until browned. Then add your sauce: tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup. Cook until the sauce is thickened. Taste for seasoning. When the milk has boiled, add the shredded cheese and cook until melted. Some cooked and drained pasta. Add the cheese sauce to the pasta and mix thoroughly. Some nice hearty hamburger buns for the sandwiches. On a toasted bun, the sloppy joe first, then the mac n cheese on top. This is a messy but glorious sandwich. It reminds me of my childhood. The sweet, savory meat with a little kick from the habanero. And the creamy mac n cheese that makes it ever more decadent. Thanks, Schnipper's for the great ideas on comfort food. Schnipper's Quality Kitchen 620 8th Ave New York, NY 10018 (212) 921-2400 schnippers.com

1 comment:

  1. i can definitely accomplish this! looks great... of course- i might need to leave out the mac and cheese as much as I would love it- i just cant bring myself to it! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.