Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pear Croustade with Blue Cheese

I have an overabundance of unripe pears in my fridge. They're not really good enough to eat raw so I decided to make a pear dessert. But I wanted a small twist. I decided to take the classic poached pear and blue cheese salad idea and make it into a dessert: pear croustade. First, I peeled, cored, and sliced all the pears. I have a mixture of different kinds here. I added some flour and sugar to sweeten up the bunch. Next, I made my trusty butter pie crust. I rolled it out on a floured surface. I trimmed the edges to make a circle. I added the pears to the middle of the circle while leaving about a 1 inch border. Mmm, some nice stinky blue cheese. I like to let my cheese rest out on the counter for a little bit for full on effect. I dotted the top of the pears with the cheese. I made sure not to add too much since this cheese was pretty strong. I took one side and started folding it up onto itself. I tried to make a pretty design but it was pretty hard to do since the dough was too soft. It came out kind of sloppy. When something like this happens, I just call it rustic. Hah! Place on some parchment paper and brush the outside with some egg wash. Into the oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until golden brown and the pears are caramelized. And this what a slice looks like. Lots of pears and blue cheese all over. When I first tasted this croustade, I thought interesting. A few more bites and this dessert was interesting but not in a good way. The pears are a really weird texture. They're really grainy. The blue cheese pretty much overpowers any sweetness from the pears. Maybe more sugar next time? The only saving grace from making this from being inedible is the crust. Thank god for my trusty butter crust. The rich fattiness from the crust tames everything down. But still, I won't be making this so called dessert again. FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.