Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ramen at home

As the rain and cold weather continued, the more comfort food I craved. This time it's soupy noodles or ramen. I started off with some chicken stock. I haven't had time to make my own stock yet so I used a really good brand. I heated up the stock first. Then I added some washed dandelion greens that I received as a part of my CSA share from Upper Meadows Farm. A quick blanch and there's ready. Dandelion greens can be really bitter and tough. So if you don't like that I would use another type of green, even lettuce. I cooked up some udon noodles. Then rinsed them in cold water to prevent sticking. I placed the cooked noodles and greens in a large bowl. Next, I marinated some flank steak with hoison sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. I seared the meat on high heat until just caramelized on the outside. It's still rare on the inside. Let that rest a bit. While the juices of the meat goes back into itself, I took some eggs and fried them up. Two fried eggs with runny yolks. Turn off the heat just when you the eggs are a little undercooked. Eggs are the type of food that continues to cook in the pan when the fire is turned off. In just a little bit of residual heat, the eggs are cooked perfectly: firm whites, runny yolks. Next, I slice the beef against the grain. Nice and rare on the inside. If this is too raw for you, the hot stock for the noodles will continue to cook it. Next, add the stock to the bowl until it completely covers the noodles. They will start absorbing the liquid so it's better to add more stock. Lastly, I meticulously added the beef and eggs. Picture perfect! The eggs were nice and creamy. Always a good addition to noodles. The beef was rare and delicious. But while I ate, they became more cooked. It's something nice because each piece tastes a little different from before. The dandelion greens are really bitter this time. And they were a little wilted that led to its severe chewiness. If it were fresh then it would have worked much better with the dish. The soup in the end was a little bitter from the dandelion greens. But it was slightly sweet too. Upper Meadows Farm 12 Pollara Lane Montague, NJ 07827 (973) 293-8171 uppermeadowsfarm.com

1 comment:

  1. i was going to call you out for half-assing it when i saw you were doing Ramen noodles, but you redeemed yourself with the flank steak

    ReplyDelete