Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cooking My Way To Thanksgiving - Sausage Stuffing

Mmm, mmm, mmm. What can be wrong about meat, bread, and vegetables all baked together? Nothing. It's just good. I start by sauteing some Italian Sausage. I like to cook it on low heat to render out the fat. The meat will start to brown and caramelize. I'll remove it from the heat now and add it to the baking pan. While that cools, I take some stale bread and cut them into cubes. I like to use country bread or sourdough bread. The staler, the better. Some people like to toast up the cubes as well. Mix well with the sausage. Next, I take some vegetables and chop them. I like to use celery, onions, garlic, fennel, green peppers, and carrots. Then, add the root vegetables to the rendered sausage fat. Using the same pan for everything ensures that all the flavors work together. When that cooks down and softens, I add them to the bread and meat mixture. Lastly, I saute the green peppers, and garlic. They cook much faster so I like to do them separately. Mix everything together with a couple of eggs and stock. Bake in the oven until the stock is absorbed and the top is toasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment