Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lunch Week 36: Roasted Tilapia with Vegetables

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my last lunch for the year: Roasted Tilapia with vegetables I start with some frozen fish. I like buying my fish in bulk. I know fresh fish is supposed to be the best but it's difficult to do that when I don't go food shopping every day. This fish comes individually vacuum sealed. It's very easy for single servings. I defrost and unwrap each piece of fish. Then seasoned each piece with salt, pepper, and oil. I washed and chopped up some broccolini. I sliced up some roasted red peppers. I also sliced up some button mushrooms. I layered everything into a pan starting with the broccolini, then the fish, then the roasted red peppers, then the mushrooms. Lastly I sprinkled some sliced black olives in top. I added a little chicken stock to the bottom of the pan to help steam the fish. Then into the oven at 375 degrees for about an hour until the fish is cooked through. The fish was a little dry. I don't know if that was from the roasting or the microwaving from the next day. The vegetables were good. Although the broccolini looked overcooked it still retained its crispness. It wasn't soggy or mushy at all. The roasted red peppers were a little overpowering though. Otherwise, it was a fairly successful dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment