Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Gramercy Tavern

Doctor Mandu was in town over the holiday break. I was lucky enough to get some of her free time during her short vacation. We always like to do something nice when we have a meal together. However, this time we were having lunch on Sunday. I didn't want brunch food so it was really difficult to find a place that served lunch on Sundays. Thankfully, Gramery Tavern was open. They do walk-ins for lunch in their Tavern room on Sundays.

I have to admit that I've had dinner in their dining room a while ago. And I wasn't impressed. In fact, some of the dishes I had were overly salty. After that experience, I never thought that Gramercy Tavern lived up to its hype.

I was about to be proved wrong on this trip.

For lunch, they have an a la carte menu. I picked the sweetbreads ($14) to start. They were delicious. Soft on the inside and crunchy crust on the outside. The sauce and the vegetables were a really nice addition. The overall dish was fantastic. I especially loved the mushrooms.

She picked the house cured pastrami ($9). It was salty but delicious. The pickled cauliflower cut through the fatty meat nicely. She enjoyed the appetizer very much.

For entree, I picked the duck confit ($25). The duck had a nice crispy skin. The meat was tender and delicious. The fattiness of the duck was perfectly matched with the heartiness of the black lentils. Normally, I don't like lentils that much but I finished the entire dish. The escarole added the needed textural crunch to the overall dish.

She had the mushroom lasagna ($18). It was a very large portion and looked fantastic. There were a nice meddly of mushrooms. The pasta was perfectly cooked. And we were both happy that the lasagna wasn't drowning in tomato sauce. It tasted hearty and delicious. It was perfect for a cold winter day.

The portions of each of the dishes were quite large. We were so full by the end that we didn't have room for any dessert.

I have to say that the lunch at Gramercy Tavern really impressed me. I really enjoyed every aspect of it. The food was fantastic and I would definitely go back for more. The service was friendly and attentive. The whole experience was very nice. I had a really good time and would consider my first experience there, the unimpressed dinner, as an off night. Gramery Tavern has redeemed itself to me and I would recommend it to anyone.

Gramercy Tavern
42 East 20th Street
New York, NY 10003-1300
(212) 477-0777
gramercytavern.com

2 comments:

  1. Good Lord! taht looks phenomenal!!!!


    especially taht duck confit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of the sweetbreads is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete