Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Eve Party (Part 3 of 3)

And lastly, the mains. I really liked these and they took the most work and time. But personally, I think they tasted really good. First, mini banh mi sandwiches. I used some thinly sliced pork chops instead of pork roll/headcheese. I marinated them in lots of flavorful sauces: sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, and fish sauce. These are quite salty so no need to add salt here. I marinated them overnight for the best flavor. Then I sauteed each one until cooked through. I also pickled some red onions in rice vinegar. And I pickled some english cucumbers. They're seedless and easier to deal with. And here's some pate. Got to have pate in my banh mi. The pate itself was too hard so I mixed in some mayo to soften it up a little bit. And here is the spreadable pate. I took a French baguette and sliced it into small pieces. To half of the pieces, I spread the pate. Then I added the pork chops. They were cut to size. Then the pickled veggies. Lastly, a squirt of sriracha sauce and some fresh cilantro. Sandwich each with another piece of bread. And voila! Mini banh mi sandwiches. Yum! And the second main-ish dish I made were steak sliders. I started by caramelizing a bunch of onions. I love caramelized onion but they take a long time to draw out the sugar. I used so many onions that people ran away in tears while I was cooking the onions. I guess they couldn't handle the vapors. Here, the onions are starting to caramelize. When they reach a rich, darker brown then they're ready. I took some thinly sliced shirt steaks and cooked them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until about medium. They were a little over cooked so next times only 10 minutes. Don't forget to liberally salt and pepper them. Beef + lots of seasoning = tasty. Then I prepared the buns. I found found these lovely potato dinner rolls. I sliced then in half and they became the perfect slider buns. One half was made deluxe with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and caramelized onions. The other half was plain cheese. The tops of the buns are being prepared for the oven for toasting and melting of the cheese. Here's a close up of the onions under the cheese. And here are the tops with the melted cheese. I used provolone cheese. Again, one side had the caramelized onions. When the meat has rested, I sliced them into small pieces to fit on top of the bread. And a delicious close up of the food. These were really good hot but those that arrived late had to eat cold steak sliders. Cold steak? Not that yummy in my opinion. And now the dessert. At first I wanted to make something new but I couldn't think of anything. So I made the tried and true chocolate chip cookies. They were fantastic and were well received by my friends. They basically sat there and ate cookies all night. So here, I mixed together some sugar, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. To that, I added 2 eggs. Lastly, I added the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Lastly, the chocolate chips. Getting each chip in there takes some muscle work! I baked them in the oven for about 9-10 minutes. They're soft when they come out but once cooled, they firm up. These cookies were still soft and chewy. So chocolaty and delicious. What a great ending to the year!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

2 comments:

  1. SPECTACULAR! Wish you had a follow button, I'd be your loyal follower. If you have an extra minute some time, come to mine at www.samwich365.com. I'd be honored to have you visit/comment/or follow. Happy New Year, Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Keri/Sam: Thanks for the comment. I check your website. Sandwiches! Yum!

    You can follow me through Google and blogger.

    ReplyDelete