Friday, February 5, 2010

Sergios Smorgasbord

For my birthday, Mr. Meat & Potatoes decided to surprise me with a variety of goodies from Sergio's. It's an Italian specialty store that makes really good food and supplies really good stuff. I'm always happy to get stuff from there. We started off with a couple of stuffed peppers. On top, is a stuffed and pickled banana pepper. Inside was some meat and cheese. The bottom red pepper was stuffed with cheese, herbs, and bread crumbs. Next course: meatballs. They make some really good meatballs here. I think it's all beef. They're delicious and not too dense. Soft and flavorful with their homemade sauce. They also like to stock their refrigerators and freezers with containers of these. It's always smart to pick one up. Next up, some sliced meats and cheeses. Ooooh baby, this has got to be one of my most favorite things to eat. I just love charchuterie. The salty meats paired with the creamy, soft cheeses. Damn, I'm drooling about it now. So here, I had some sliced prosciutto, genoa salami, and sweet soppressata. With that, we had some homemade fresh mozzarella, blue cheese, and sharp provolone. After that, we split a sandwich. It's their signature chicken cutlet sandwich. In it, there was a piece of breaded chicken cutlet, roasted red peppers, and fresh mozzarella on foccacia bread. And to finish off the savory foods, we got one of their specialties for the day. It was a stuffed pork loin in a wine sauce. The pork was stuffed with broccoli rabe and roasted red peppers. The sauce was amazing (even though it looks gloppy here). I really liked this and I gobbled it all up. To finish off the meal, we shared a couple of cannolis. I think one was plain and one was chocolate chip. This was good while fresh, but not so good after sitting in the fridge. I do not like soft cannoli shells. Sergio & Co 28 Broadway Denville, NJ 07834 (973) 627-1043

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely birthday meal.
    The foccacia sandwich looks appetizing. Mmmmm.
    And cannolis defintiely need to be crisp, not soft in texture.

    ReplyDelete