Monday, March 8, 2010

Cafe Zaiya: Red Bean Bun

It was a busy day running errands around the city. But I had a small amount of time to stop by for a snack. Lunch was still hours away. I was in the Cafe Zaiya area so I hopped in on a Saturday. Mostly empty. Wow! It's around lunch time and it's not bombarded with herds of people. This was a really nice feeling for once. So, I picked up something that caught my eye, a red bean patty/bun. I used to eat these as a kid. As an adult, I had a pre-packaged one and hated it. But never have I had it from a bakery. Interesting, indeed. This thing is pretty big for less than $2. But it was filling. The taste? Good. The cakes are soft and moist. The red bean paste is sweet and thick. It was everything that I was hoping for. I would definitely go back and have this again. Not only for the taste and price, but also for the memories of Doraemon/Ding Dong. Cafe Zaiya 18 East 41st Street New York, NY 10017-6395 (212) 779-0600 zaiyany.com

4 comments:

  1. Haha. I can't believe you broke out into memories of Ding Dong. Awesome!
    And nice sandwichy red-bean pastry from CZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get these in a package too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gar: As I said above, I didn't like the packaged ones. This one I liked because it was from their bakery section which I assume is fresher.

    ReplyDelete