Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pancakes: Attempt #2

And here I go again on my own...making pancakes! I have yet to make those oh so delicious fluffy pancakes that I find in diners. Yeah maybe they're using a pre-made mix. But I know I can do better. My last batch were dense, chewy cakes. Not good. This time, I had a new weapon in hand: baking powder. I read somewhere that they use a lot of baking powder in their pancakes for super fluffiness. It's worth a try. So I started the dry mix with all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, and 3 tablespoons of baking powder. Actually, that was all I had left in the can. I would've added more if I had any. Then I added the wet ingredients: buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Then onto a non-stick pan with some melted butter. I waited for little bubbles to appear on top and the edges to brown. Then flip and a few more minutes on the other side. And here are my new pancakes. Are they better than last time? Yes! Yes! Yes! Are they super fluffy? No. They're kind of fluffy but not at the point that I want them. Sigh, if only I had more baking powder. Next time! I will try and try again. Oh and real maple syrup please. I don't believe in Aunt Jemima or Mrs. Butterworth's.

2 comments:

  1. AhhHHHHh! I just ate my cereal and STILL want a fresh stack pancakes with maple syrup and butter now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should add some melted butter to the batter would help or whip the egg white apart from the yolk :)

    ReplyDelete