Sunday, April 4, 2010

Certe

I was left without lunch one day. That was good and bad. Good because I wasn't feeling my lunch by the end of the week. And bad because I didn't know what I wanted. So I scoured the blogs a bit and finally decided on Certe. I was going to order their Midtown Lunch sandwich special of the day. But a quick peruse of the menu and I was hooked onto the lobster roll. It's only offered on Friday and it's been awhile since I had lobster (which is one my most favorite foods). A quick call and I ordered quickly. The online menu mentions that you can get a lobster wrap or a Maine lobster roll. Of course I went with the Maine lobster roll. I like lobster cooked in the most simplest form. All that extra stuff, including mayo, is unnecessary. But alas, most NYC restaurants have not learned that. Let's hope that Certe doesn't make that mistake. With the lobster roll, I get to choose 2 sides. I picked the grilled asparagus and potato latkes. All this for $8.95. That's a great deal! So the lunch comes delivered and looks great. The roll looks too fancy for me but I was still hopeful. The asparagus looked nice and green and the latkes looked crispy. The lobster roll was actually a lobster salad in a hot dog bun. The bun was toasted which is a plus. The lobster meat was sweet and delicious. Not chewy at all. The extra fillers were okay and added some texture to the whole thing. The mayo wasn't too overpowering so I didn't mind it too much. It was a decent roll. The asparagus was really nice. They were tender and had a nice char flavor to them. Seasoning was simple. I think it was just salt and pepper. The potato latkes were just okay. They were kind of hard. It think it suffered from being over fried. I like my latkes to be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. However, the crispiness was pretty thick. It wasn't just a thin crunch that led to the soft potato strands inside. It could have been worse though. They could have been soggy which would have been gross. In the end, I think this was a good meal. There was a decent amount of lobster and it wasn't all filler. I could still taste the lobster meat. The sides were really nice and they gave a quite a lot. And best of all, the price. All that for less than $9. So very very nice. Certe 20 West 55th Street New York, NY 10019-5373 (212) 397-2020 certenyc.com

3 comments:

  1. yea, can't expect a non-mayo lobster roll for $9. the lobster salad looks great!

    check out luke's lobster for a true, unadorned lobster roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Steve: Been to Luke's and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd def. go back to luke's to get their regular lobster roll for 14. not the puny snack size at 8.

    lobster salad and 2 sides for less than 10 isn't a bad deal at all. still can't say i'm a fan of cer te since I'm not into fancy sandwiches but they've been alright.

    ReplyDelete