Friday, May 21, 2010

Menchanko Tei

After a good deal of drinking at Midtown Lunch Happy Hour, I was hungry. Plus, I needed something to soak up the alcohol in my stomach. I'll admit it again, I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking. I need water, food, and pacing to prevent myself from getting sick. So one of the best things that I like to do after heavy drinking? Eat! It helps settle my stomach. So we headed over to Menchanko Tei. I was really feeling ramen. The starch, the meat, the broth. Yeah everything I need. And it tastes good too! We all ordered but some people weren't feeling as hungry as I was. So they ordered apps instead. A couple of them were quite generous and ordered some food for the table. This is Takoyaki ($6.50) which is a fried octopus ball. It was fluffy and the bonito flakes were a nice touch. But I didn't really taste much octopus. The sauce was nice and salty though. This is staple Japenese street food. I have no idea what this is called. I think it had bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and some other things. I want to say this was the Pirikara Menma Salad ($3.75) but I can very wrong here. And this, I definitely have no clue what this is. I can't even tell what was in this. Someone was feeling healthy so they ordered a salad. I I think this is Hijiki Salad ($5.25) which includes seaweed, edamame, and other vegetables in a yuzu dressing. I definitely know what I had though: Kurobuta Shoyu Ramen ($9.75) with gyoza ($3). Look at that berkshire pork. So fatty. Far on top were 1 of my 3 dumplings. Some seaweed, bamboo shoots, scallions, and a soft boiled egg rounded things out. The noodles still had a nice bite and wasn't mushy. I hate mushy noodles. I finished this happily, but I didn't drink all of the broth. I was full. And it was salty. No need to dehydrate myself even more. Another had ramen too. I think this was Shoyu Ramen ($8.50). Here he is working on the noodles. And lastly, some jumbo chicken yakitori ($5.25). This was just okay. The meat wasn't caramelized enough. It could have used a little more charring. And look, too much sauce. It's okay though. I would definitely come here again. The ramen was really good. As good as I can get in Midtown East. Menchanko-Tei 131 East 45th St New York, NY 10017 (212) 986-6805 menchankotei.com

3 comments:

  1. Their Hakata Ramen is a fav. The Shoyu seemed okay for its salty goodness.

    Their chicken yakitori isn't bad but nothing special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Tsushima on Wednesdays and Fridays... their ramens are really really good too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they're ramen is okay, but the menchanko noodle soups are the best!!!! They're so light and flavorful, filled with delicious seafood and a lump of viscous mochi!!

    I also liked the eggplant salad, and the chicken kara-age is usually good but often it's a hit-or-miss. I didn't like the takoyaki that much though because they were stingy with the octopus as you've mentioned...

    ReplyDelete