Friday, June 25, 2010

Cooking: Guacamole

Avocados are another seasonal item that I love having. I think it's usually more prominent during the late spring through summer. Though you can probably find avocados at any time of the year now. So I always like to guacamole with my avocados. The fresh flavors are amazing. They just work so well together. It's fairly easy. I dice up some avocados. Leaving it chunky is my style. You can completely mash it up if you desire. To that, I immediate add the juice of one lime. Sometimes I'll add a little more. I like my guacamole limier than normal. But that's just me. One lime is enough for most people. To that I added a tomato (no seeds), a jalapeno (no seeds), 3 cloves of garlic, half a small red onion, and some chopped cilantro. Salt, pepper, and oil Now this tastes pretty good right now. But for me, I have to let it meld together for at least 1 hour. I usually like to let it rest in the fridge overnight. I think the flavors develop so much that it's a totally different animal when it comes out. Here you can see that the colors look a little duller now. But don't be fooled. That doesn't mean it was duller in flavor. No, it actually was so much more. Sweet, but tangy. Smooth yet crunchy. Creamy and fresh. So good. Great with some tortilla chips.

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous!
    I love guac! and its healthy! (ish)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm Guacamole. Where are the chips? Dip dip dip scrap scrap munch munch munch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you put the pit back in the bowl, it will prevent the chopped avocado from browning.

    nice guac.

    ReplyDelete