Saturday, July 17, 2010

Aoki

A couple of friends on mine wanted to meet up for some dinner. They were feeling sushi. I looked around the neighborhood for something affordable but better than Kodama. I went with Aoki. I've ordered lunch from there before. I thought the food was decent and the price was fine then. We ordered the grande sushi platter for two ($47) and added some rolls and nigiri to the mix. By the size of the whole thing, we could have been good splitting this one plate amongst 3 people. So here you have some salmon,tuna, whitefish, mackerel, eel roll, and salmon roll. The fish tasted fresh and tasty. The rice was nice. It was good. And here are our add-ons. Sorry about the dark picture. Anyway, on the left are some uni ($5 each). In the middle is toro ($6 each). And the end is a spider roll ($14.25). The sea urchin was smooth and creamy. Not fishy. Just nice. Not the best but good enough. The toro was soft and creamy. It didn't melt like butter but it was really nice. The spider roll was freshly fried and crispy. Aoki was just lovely. Much better than kodama. Though this meal was more expensive, we also ordered more expensive foods. I would definitely come here again. The only gripe I have is that the service was pushy. We we sat down, we still had the menus open. We were trying to decide what to get. Two different waiters must have come around at least 5 times each asking if we were ready to order. Umm, no. We said that each and every time. If we have our menus still open, don't you think we're still discussing it? They eventually stopped bothering us when sternly said that we'll be ready when our menus are closed. After that, they knew not to be rude anymore. Aoki 234 West 48th Street New York, NY 10036 (212) 956-2355 aokinyc.com

1 comment:

  1. Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your blog. You have some really good articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Cheers!
    Here is my web site : how to make sushi

    ReplyDelete