Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Shoyu Ramen and Dumplings

Another purchase from Mitsusa: Shoyu Ramen and Dashi. Shoyu is basically soy sauce. Ramen is a type of noodle, usually served soupy. And dashi is a soup based often used in Japanese cooking. Although, authentically, dashi is homemade like stock. I didn't have the time nor the skills to master it at this point in my life. I just wanted good noodles in soup! So I started off my meal with some homemade dumplings and fish meatballs boiled in water. 10 minutes 10, I add the dashi. Then the noodles go in. I had them frozen but they cook really quickly. I like to use a pair of chopsticks to loosen up the noodles as they boil away. About 5 minutes later, they're cooked. Mmm, a nice hot bowl of noodles with dumplings and fish meatballs. My favorite comfort food. So the noodles were really good. I'm going to have to get more. I like the texture and flavor to them. Simple but very satisfying. It's slightly chewy but still soft. The noodles actually came with a packet of shoyu. I added that to the dish at the very end. Nothing like a little extra soy sauce to make things even more flavorful. The dashi was savory. A little goes a long way so make sure to taste as you go. The dumplings were good as usual. Of course, I made them by hand! Hahah! And the fish meatballs are chewy and rubbery. They also taste very fishy. I know, doesn't sound appetizing does it? But I grew up with them and like it. It's definitely an acquired taste and texture.

1 comment:

  1. Nice bowl of noodles!

    I like the freezer-packed fishballs. Not as fond of the fresh ones. Haha.

    Wontons, dumplings and fish balls? No greens? lol. Maybe i nthe dumplings...

    ReplyDelete