Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cooking: Homemade Fruit Preserves - Blueberry Blackberry

I recently came across a recipe for homemade jam or preserves. It's really easy so I decided to come up with my own recipe. I like less sugar in my sweets. Also, I like to use the fruit of the season for the best flavor and natural sweetness. So I started with some blueberries and blackberries. Washed and picked through, I placed them in a pot. Add enough water to cover completely. Then onto the stove on high until it starts to boil. Once at a rolling boil, I lower the temp and let it simmer to thicken and evaporate. You might have to stir the pot once in awhile to prevent sticking and burning. Simmer until it reaches your desires consistency. I like to stop when the jam coats the back of a wooden spoon and doesn't slide off. Then, I taste. It's important to NOT use a metal spoon here. You will burn yourself. Use plastic, ceramic, glass. And make sure it's cooled enough to taste. Then add your sugar. Usually I'll add about 1/2 cup of sugar to 2 pints of blueberries and 1 pint of blackberries. But again, I like my jams to be less sweet and more tart. Continue simmering until the sugar completely dissolves. Then take it off the heat to cool completely. I like to store the jam in glass jar in the fridge. They'll last a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm doing this next time I have people friends in town to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @CT- why won't you share with me? i like jam.

    ReplyDelete