Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lunch Week 37: Antipasti

So every Sunday, I head over to the kitchen to whip up a big batch of food for lunch next week. Yes, I brown bag. And I almost always do it, unless I become too busy to even buy cold cuts from the deli. I do it for several reasons being health, finance, and laziness. Now, you may think that spending hours on a day off to prep and cook five meals at once is hardly lazy. But let me remind you, I hate it when the time comes to decide what to eat for lunch every day. I work in Midtown so the choices are endless. My problem, the more choices, the harder it is for me. So it's much easier for me to have my lunch ready and already decided. So my lunch for the week: Antipasti I didn't have much time to make an elaborate lunch for the week. However, I realized that I had many different kinds of Italian foods in jars or in the fridge. So, I cleared out my pantry and fridge drawer with this lunch. I wanted to make at least one part of the lunch. I wasn't sure of what then I was inspired by an Ellie Kreiger recipe from watching the Food Network/Cooking Channel. It's baked zucchini slices (recipe at end of post). I start with 2 small zucchinis. Then I sliced them thinly, tossed with salt, pepper, and olive oil In another dish, I mixed some seasoned bread crumbs and grated parmesan cheese. I took each slice of zucchini and covered it liberally with the bread crumb and cheese mixture. I made sure to press the coating firmly into the squash so that it would stick. Then into an oven at 450oF for about 20 minutes. Once they're golden brown, they're ready. Let cool slightly and eat! These are best eaten right away since the crust is still crunchy and the cheese still melted. Makes a great snack! And now the assembly begins. Starting from the upper left hand corner going clockwise: baked zucchini slices, sardines, leafy salad, harvati cheese, and sweet soppresata. The other side is more veggie heavy. Again, starting from the upper left hand corner going clockwise: pickled eggplant (from a good friend's trip to Italy), grape tomatoes, long stemmed marinated artichokes, black olives, and roasted red peppers. I eventually also added some pepperonchini (not shown) for extra flavor and variety. Though this lunch was really easy to assemble, it's really delicious. The different flavors and textures of the foods are great. I never get sick of anything because there's only a couple of bites of each. Oh and this is best served at room temperature. I refrigerate it overnight then let sit at my desk from the morning until noon. It comes up to room temperate just nicely. It's a nice Italian spread! Recipe Provided by Food Network.com Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 2008 Ellie Krieger Ingredients * Cooking spray * 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total) * 1 tablespoon olive oil * 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (3/4-ounce) * 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs * 1/8 teaspoon salt * Freshly ground black pepper Directions Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch thick rounds. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the oil. In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, and a few turns of pepper. Dip each round into the Parmesan mixture, coating it evenly on both sides, pressing the coating on to stick, and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the zucchini rounds until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove with spatula. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice variety!

    Sardine for lunch? So healthy.
    *shakes the tic-tacs*

    ReplyDelete