Monday, September 6, 2010

Sushi Dinner at Home

While at Mitsuwa, I decided to pick up some ingredients for dinner. I was feeling kind of lazy so I picked something really easy: sushi! The good thing about Mitsuwa is that they sell sushi grade fish there. No, it won't be like Yasuda. But it is similar to your neighborhood sushi place. Just fresh enough for consumption but it won't blow your mind. I picked up some salmon, roe, sweet shrimp, tuna, cooked eel, and uni (sea urchin). The fish and eel came in one large piece. You'll need a sharp knife to slice it thinly. As a side, I cooked up some bokchoy in just some oil with salt. I served this meal with some Japanese glutinous rice. It's a little stickier but the grains hold together pretty well. I really enjoy it with sushi. With a little soy sauce, this meal was really good. I enjoyed the uni a lot. There were so many more pieces than I thought. The sweet shrimp was definitely sweet. But I don't think I would buy it again. It was kind of pricey. I wanted it at the moment and was happy with my purchase. But it's definitely not a must have. The tuna was good as well. Meaty yet lean. The salmon was just okay. There were still some bones in it that I had to pick out. However, I didn't pick the better salmon that was offered. They have several different kinds with ranges in prices. I picked the cheapest one. And lastly, the eel. I didn't heat this up. I should have. But the flavor was there. The texture was off though. I think it was because I didn't heat it up. Otherwise, I liked it. I would definitely go back to Mitsuwa to buy the sushi again. I want to try all the different types of fish that they offer. It's definitely a little pricier but it's cheaper than going out to eat. Mitsuwa Marketplace 595 River Road Edgewater, NJ 07020 (201) 941-9113 mitsuwa.com

5 comments:

  1. I like to just buy the salmon + roe and mix it into sushi rice (the Japanese rice mixed with a teensy bit of the seasoned sushi vinegar)... sake oyako don at home super cheap and always leftovers. Mmm...
    I'm always scared to buy uni like that though, which one did you pick (I usually see two price levels)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Yvo: I forgot to mention that I did add some vinegar mix into my rice. I like the slight tanginess.

    I didn't see any other uni there that time. I'm going to have to look more carefully next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like a good sashimi dinner and I bet it was much cheaper than what you pay at a Japanese restaurant! More bang for your buck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the
    video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking
    about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative
    to read?
    My site food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you even read my blog? You can clearly tell there is no video. There has never been ANY video on this site.

      Delete