Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Breslin with Urbanspoon

I was recently invited to a breakfast outing with Urbanspoon. They picked The Breslin as the restaurant to gather and chat. I was quite excited since I haven't been to this particular restaurant yet. I always like to try new places.

The menu was pretty good and had enough variety to satisfy any palate. And so they went and pretty much ordered the entire menu.

First were some thrice cooked chips. These were really crispy spuds! Well seasoned and a side of mustard and pickles. I would have loved to have these by myself but sharing was key at this party.

Some bangers came out and they seemed really plump and juicy. Once we cut into it, it was totally what I expected. Nice snap of the skin, and flavorful meat stuffed inside that casing. I enjoyed these.
Some bacon was also ordered. These weren't cooked too crispy which is the way I like it. Nice and pliable. Cured and smoked, this was bacon-y good.
A variety of baked good came out and I completely vultured over to the croissant. I have a weakness for buttery, flaky goods. And this was certainly one of those. Still warm and soft, I enjoyed it. I split it in half even though I wanted to devour the entire thing.
Here's a goat cheese and leek tart served with a side of watercress. This was just okay for me. The leeks were completely masked by the stronger goat cheese. And the tart part was too thick. It was difficult to cut through and manage.
And one of my favorite dishes of the morning: the 3 cheese sandwich. What made this so good? The cheese was fully melted and gooey. But serisouly, they used a lot of butter on the bread which made it so crunchy and delicious. Well done.
I think these were roasted potatoes. They had a nice caramelization going on which added tons of flavor. A sprinkle of greens to lighten it up which made it a nice side.
One of the crowd favorite was this monstrosity: a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. Look at that ooey, gooed peanut butter. Some banana slices were to be had inside as well. The outside was crispy, crunchy. People were very happy with this.
And here's their full English breakfast with some sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and eggs. I tried an egg and some mushrooms. The egg was nice and the yolk was runny. Heavenly! But the mushroom was so over salted. Pretty inedible. It was a complete surprise in my mouth that I needed to wash it down with the coffee.
Halfway through the morning, I had an important call to field. So I stepped out for a moment. Unfortunately, during this time, they had brought in more food. And I missed the pretty pictures. So instead, I was left with half eaten plates. Sorry! This is what the seafood sausage would have been. There's just a small piece left which I happily took. The sausage was just okay. It didn't really taste like seafood to me. It was slightly creamy which made me think that the beurre blanc was added to the stuffing. If that were the case, then it would have masked the flavors of the seafood.
I think this was another grilled cheese sandwich but with an egg this time. It looks like a runny egg. Oh dear! Why did I miss this?!
These were poached eggs with curries lentils. Mmm, really enjoyed this. Not only do I LOVE poached eggs but they also had lentils which I also enjoy very much. If I were to come back, I would totally get this.
This was the seasonal frittata with ricotta cheese. I tried a bit of this but unfortunately it had already gone cold when I tried it. I wouldn't think that would be a good judge of what this would be like when hot from the kitchen.
And lastly, peanut butter and grape syrup. This was truly for a person with a sweet tooth. I was apprehensive to try this. I'm not a sweets person at all. All that syrup looked daunting. So I skipped it and left it for those for were oohing and aahing over it.
The Breslin provided really good food for us. We enjoyed it very much. The service was quick and friendly. The food was delicious. My favorites were the grilled cheese sandwich and the poached eggs. If I had the grilled cheese with eggs, then I would've been in heaven. My only gripe would be the coffee. It was served in a French press which is normally fine with me. But it was really murky, and thick. I think they used a fine ground coffee instead of course. It wasn't very pleasant. Nonetheless, I would come back for the food for sure.

The Breslin
16 West 29th Street
New York, NY 10001
(212) 685-9600
thebreslin.com

2 comments:

  1. thanks so much for joining us. i am, as well, quite fond of a terrific runny egg. wishing you many more tasty tasties. cheers, christine (at urbanspoon dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that Elvis sandwich looks like a delicious donut. Mmm donut.

    Very nice breakfast!

    ReplyDelete