Friday, November 12, 2010

Minado

Dinner with family always screams food. However, these days no one really feels like cooking for a big crowd. So off we went to Minado for what else? All you can eat sushi and other Asian foods (~$30). I've been here before so I know the layout and game plan. I always start with the sushi.

And here's my first plate. Lots of different types of sushi including tuna, salmon, octopus, shrimp, sea urchin, roe, white fish, clam, etc. I also grabbed some raw oysters too. Everything was pretty decent. I wasn't expecting the freshest raw seafood. And I didn't get it. But it was fresh enough for me. Meaning, it didn't smell nor taste off. It tasted fine and some were actually quite good. I'm not usually a fan of the sashimi because the freshness isn't there. But the sushi pieces and rolls are good because the rice and sauces add another layer to it. As for the raw oysters, they were just okay. They didn't have many layers of flavor. They were just there. I don't know if I would have these again.

My second plate is usually cooked food. I grabbed some large prawns, mussels, vegetables, grilled calamari, and some fried items. The shrimp was completely overcooked. When I went to peel the shell, the meat fell apart. It was pretty inedible. The mussels were good. They had a nice vinaigrette on them so it was light and refreshing. The vegetables were okay. They did the job just fine. The grilled calamari was overcooked and left the meat chewy and very rubbery. However, the smokiness of the grilling saved it just a bit. Lastly, the fried items. One was a fried dimsum and I don't remember the other food. These items weren't worth remembering either. It wasn't very good at all. I definitely would stay away from those again.

And my last plate is usually what I am craving. Sometimes I go back for more sushi but this time I wanted some meat. So I took some grilled galbi (Korean beef shorty ribs), chicken satay, seaweed salad, and marinated eggplant. The beef was luke warm by the time it got to my plate. Flavorwise, it was lackluster. The meat certainly did not marinate enough. It actually was quite bland. How upsetting! The chicken satay was dry and overcooked. Not much flavor either. It easier could have used more soy or peanut sauce. Or whatever flavor they were trying to aim for. The seaweed salad was quite pleasant actually. It wasn't the normal green seaweed. It was black seaweed. I enjoyed the texture and light flavor. And finally, the eggplant had nice flavor. I think it was marinated in a soy and mirin based sauce. It was savory and slightly sweet at the same time. Although cold, it was refreshing and ended my meal well.

I also had some dessert but it wasn't worth taking a picture. I had some soft serve vanilla ice cream and it was terrible. The flavor and the texture was completely off. One taste and I left it.

So when going to Minado, I have to keep one thing in mind: stay with the sushi and I will normally leave happy. Be wary of anything fried and definitely avoid the dessert.

Minado
219 Glen Cove Road
Carle Place, NY 11514
(516) 294-9541
minado.com

1 comment:

  1. Si, the hot food is disapponting. Filling up on the sushi is the way to go.

    I like the green tea ice cream too.

    ReplyDelete