Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday Nights: Vertigo

Towards the end of the last year, my friends thought that we weren't hanging out enough. It's true, we weren't. So they started Tuesday night get-togethers. Every Tuesday, we'll pick a bar to drink, eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Whomever can make it will attend. If you're busy, it's okay. There's always next week. So this is Tuesday Nights on Tasty Eating where you will find bars that serve food and how we like them.


This week, we headed out to: Vertigo
This bar is more like a restaurant. They have more tables for food than they have seats for drinking. However, they still do have a long bar with several beers on tap and your usual hard liquor. A quick look through their menu revealed that they also have some off the normal beers. I picked the Coney Island Pie Bald. The waitress didn't know anything about it though. So I picked it blind hoping that it would taste good. And it was okay. It reminded me of Hoegaarden beer but less fruity. It was light and refreshing. Would I pick it again? Probably not. Would I drink it with no complaints? Definitely.

And now onto the food. One friend ordered the Cowboy Nachos ($12) which came with black beans, pico de gallo, beef, sour cream, cheese and guacamole. The tortilla chips were freshly fried and crunchy. I think she enjoyed this because she devoured it.

Another got the Vertigo Burger ($10) with mushrooms. I didn't try any but he said it was good. The meat was juicy and well seasoned. They cooked it to order which was medium rare. And this plate for $10 was worth it.
And here's the Santa Fe Steak Sandwich ($14). Compared to the burger, this wasn't as good. First, it was more expensive and it wasn't as juicy as the burger. But I was told it tasted good anyway.
And I picked the fries with gorgonzola cheese ($7). Unfortunately, I thought the cheese would be more melted or at least in a cheese sauce. They just sprinkled the fries with crumbled cheese. It didn't stick too well and I was left with a pile of cheese in the bowl at the end. I liked the fries though. They were salty and crispy. I've had better fries but these were just enough for me.
I'm not sure if I would go back to Vertigo. The atmosphere was fine. However, the service was a little spotty with the lack of knowledge and a spilled drink. The food wasn't good enough to warrant the desire to go back. It was all in all, very mediocre.

Vertigo
354 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10010
(212) 696-1011
vertigobarnewyork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment